alternative medicine aromatherapy

The Art of Feng Shui and Creating Peace at Home: An Interview with Carol Shashona

Wednesday, March 02, 2016 HALFSTACK MAGAZINE

The hubbub of the daily grind can become all consuming. We tend to load up our to do list and breeze through each day barely able to catch a breath, let alone a moment of peace and silence. Our lives become one hectic moment after another. I'll be the first to admit that it can be really hard to just slow down. Finding a quiet moment or allowing yourself to just stop can be incredibly difficult in a day and age when the more you do, the more accomplished other people think you are. Yet, slowing down is so important. Not just for the mind, but for the body and soul as well.



Pushing your body into overdrive will manifest physically through tight neck and shoulders and usually digestive malfunctions. You may even notice stress can cause hormonal havoc in your body as cortisol and adrenalin are being pumped through your blood without you even knowing it; the boost of these hormones long term causing your body adrenal exhaustion and an overall hormonal imbalance that can lead to some nasty complications such as depression, weight gain, estrogen dominance, insulin resistance (stress has a direct impact on your blood sugar levels), chronic fatigue and fertility issues. And of course, this will accelerate aging.

One simple way to help with slowing down is to create an environment of relaxation. Ever wonder why the environment at a Spa is so relaxing? The colors and the set up all play a part in creating that relaxing environment. Feng Shui is one way to create an environment conducive to slowing down.  The art of feng shui seeks to harmonize the characteristics of a living or business environment with the movement of chi -- or energy -- to derive the greatest potential from the space. The key elements that influence this include: movement, including furniture placement, window direction, lighting and color. 



Aroma therapy is also another way to help create calmness. Aromatherapy is the practice of using the natural oils extracted from flowers, bark, stems, leaves, roots or other parts of a plant to enhance psychological and physical well-being. The inhaled aroma from these "essential" oils is widely believed to stimulate brain function. Essential oils can also be absorbed through the skin, where they travel through the bloodstream and can promote whole-body healing.



One brand that is working to bring you wellness on the go is Carole Shashona's Lux Blue Collection. Carole is a celebrity interior designer and wellness expert. Her Lux Blue collection features calming sprays, candles and bracelets. The collection was designed to create balance and harmony while on the go in our everyday lives. Carole’s inspiration for Blue represents love, calmness, and serenity often hidden within us. The Luxe Blue collection of candles, mists and jewelry embrace the body and mind with a sense of relaxation and well-being. Designed for travel and a companion for today’s needs for stress reduction, the line offers the perfect inhalation therapy. How? Simply spritz and breathe anyplace and everywhere. I had the chance to connect with Carole and talk about this collection, her journey and career. Keep reading on for the full interview. 

1. Can you please tell us a bit about yourself, your background and what led you to pursue your career ?

I always believed in beauty. I was always fascinated with nature, stars and the world of theater. I grew up a trained ballet dancer and much of my values, and inspiration stem from my passion for the stage and dance. I loved going into an imaginary world of stage and costume, walking in feeling ordinary and out extraordinary.

2. Can you tell us more about your career journey and how you found your passion?
 
My journey began in the film West Side Story. I learned in theater, movement, colors, and costumes. I attended the FIT and sharpened my skills for textile designs, body form and went onto study at the School of Fine Arts, anatomy. After marrying my husband, I moved to Hong Kong for hospitality design. Soon, I met my master, who taught me the art of Feng Shui. I became blessed to be the only Asian trained, female, American Grand Feng Shui Master. 

3. Can you share your thoughts on the changes you are seeing in the beauty industry and how your brand is adapting to those changes?  

People fear change. I embrace change. Change is not negative, it’s positive, helping us grow. Today, people are more open to learning about spirituality and coordinating it with everyday life. I feel it’s getting more stressful, and our daily routines are busier. Often people don’t have time to go home and are need to find a way to relax and reenergize. Mediation is today’s tool, fusing the need to reboot, relax and meet everyday needs. Interestingly as I work with my clients in the art of Feng Shui there were no tools to help me to align the spaces and empower the person and their homes and offices. It became quite evident as I worked in hospitals and homes that burning sage sticks set off smoke detectors and alarms. This became my Blue Collection of mists and candles and became the solution for home and hospitality as portable energizers, embraced by many for everyday living.

4. Can you tell us a bit about your latest Lux Blue Collection, what it was inspired by and how you hope people will connect with it?

Blue by Carole Shashona, helps one seeking for inner contentment and peace, a tool for on the go, or at home a perfect companion. Inspired by the Blue Grotto in Capri, on the Amalfi Coast, the luminess blue color is magical, filling the fantasy mind with fairies and dreams. The calming shade of blue calms, relaxes, and is natural filter for the essential oils within. The Empower scent uplifts one’s energy and similar to the core of the flame inspiring action. I believe my blue collection candles and mists will take fantasy to reality Blue helps one to focus and take a moment calm and inspire.

The Blue mindful jewelry collection is embodied with my signature coin for protection and is a reminder to take a moment for meditation anytime and anywhere. On a plane, a taxi, or in the office, I teach all that is required is five minutes. (www.bluebycarole.com) The coin acts a compass to inspiring mediation and alignment of the mind, body as a force of energy.

5. Where do you get your creative inspiration from and what does the product development process look like when working on your products? 

My creative inspiration and product development process often is inspired from my consultations with my clientele. From colors in fashion to accessories at home I see what does work for them and what does not. There happiness is my gage for success, and I move forward from there for new inspirations.

6. Are there people, mentors or figures that have made an impact in your life and career? If so, how? 

Yes. In Hong Kong Master Leung. In New York from the fashion industries I turned to Bob Mackey, Valentino, and Bill Blass. I loved artists like Erte who celebrated fashion and the woman’s body and I cherished my friendship with Andy Warhol and owe a lot of who I am today to him.


7. What kind of advice would you give to someone looking to pursue a career as a designer? 

My advice for any future designer –“Love what you are creating, and what you bring to the world. Don’t be afraid of challenges and never follow trends. This will help you challenge yourself and experience life. Believe in yourself and stay true to yourself.”

8. Finally, where can we learn more about you, your brand and collections? 

I would love to meet you at www.caroleshashona.com. I always believe my brand should have an intimate relationship with its consumer. I try not just to be a face for my brand, but an educator and offer videos and blogs teaching on the go fashion, home, meditation techniques, helping to nurture one day at a time.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Contact Form