encouragement inspiration

Finding Joy In The Mess

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 Jennifer Oquendo

I've always admired people that can smile even when life seems to be in ruins. It almost seems like they have it all together and never struggle but of course this is not the case because everyone struggles with their own issues. Recently I had a young lady share some of her concerns with me. As she spoke I couldn't help but be surprised that she struggled with some serious issues. I am aware that everyone has their share of difficult circumstances that they deal with every day. The fact that she dealt with tough issues didn't surprise me. What blew me away was that through it all she still had a smile on her face.

Photo Courtesy of Denver Public Library


Her situations weren't every day difficult struggles, they were serious circumstances that involved deaths in the family. The joy she shares even though her loss is great is truly remarkable. I can't help but be in awe at how positive she is even when others may see it as her life is falling apart. I examined the way I react in hard times and noticed that even something small seems so big to me. For instance, when an angry customer that has just recited every curse word in every language and has just threatened to call corporate because you didn't discount an item then decides to point his or her finger at you demanding a discount, what do you do? Would you calmly explain your reasonings and try to please the customer or would you explode because no one points their finger at you?

It made me realize two things. Life is short and wasting it worrying over things that aren't important is pointless. In the end, when you look back at the situation, you will see that it wasn't a big deal. People get mad every day because of something. Let it go and don't let it bother you. Also I realized that you can have joy even when struggles come your way. The perspective you have towards your life will either make you drown or help you float. I've learned that no matter what you do, you will have struggles and hard times. Why? Because they help you mature and teach you how to overcome them in the future. So since rough times will come any way, I want to stay afloat because I will have a clear view of what's ahead. When you're underwater it's difficult to know where you are going because there isn't a clear view and you can only hold your breath for so long.

So when you fall, get back up and keep going. When you mess up, start again and don't give up. Life isn't about being perfect, it's about making mistakes, learning from them and holding on to your joy.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Contact Form