compare encouragement

The End of Comparison

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 Jennifer Oquendo

Have you ever compared yourself to someone else? Maybe you've caught yourself watching a TV show and realized that you were wishing you were the actor or actress? Don't fret, you're not alone! Plenty of us have done that. We seem to compare ourselves to those around us such as friends, family members and people that cross our paths. We compare what others have with what we may lack and that's when jealousy comes along.

Photo Courtesy of Just Available


  I used to always compare myself to the girls that I went to school with. Why wasn't I as popular? Why was I so shy? Questions like that would always roam in my head and it got to the point where I grew very sad and jealous of what others had and what I didn't have. I would always question what everyone else had and what I had. I became so overwhelmed and caught up with the idea that I was worthless and unimportant because of comparison. I compared my slim body type with women with a full figure. I compared my shy personality with those who were spontaneous and go-getters. I compared my career choice with those that were my age and already on the path of their career or making great money. I grew very envious and just plain jealous. I wanted what everyone else had. Slowly I grew to understand that comparing yourself to someone else is completely unhealthy. It does not cause you to excel nor those it encourage you. I realized that we are all so very different and unique. If we all looked alike and acted the same then life would be very boring! 

We each have unique and incredible characteristics that distinguishes us from everyone else. We all have thoughts, opinions and ideas that differ from one another but that doesn't place someone above the other. We are all shaped differently. We talk differently and we walk differently . We have different desires and goals. Key word is different and that's okay! Stop comparing yourself to others because it will only tear you down. Embrace who you are and how you look, because you were fearfully and wonderfully made.

Psalm 139:14
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 


You Might Also Like

1 comments

Instagram

Contact Form