9 tips for young people balancing a busy life Busy

9 Tips for Young People on Balancing a Busy Life

Friday, July 24, 2015 Tyronita Bell

It seems like everyday after sixteen my life has been dedicated to work and school. Now that I am entering my junior year of college, that dynamic hasn’t really changed. People always say that balancing work, school, internships and a personal life is almost impossible.


In my opinion there is only some truth to that.  I am a total believer that you can have the best of all worlds, but it takes a special kind of discipline to achieve that. Right now, my time is contributed to two jobs and two internships. On top of that , I’m in the process of trying to find an apartment (that’s in my budget) in an expensive city like Chicago before school starts in September.  Having to juggle all of your responsibilities can be a bit overwhelming at times, but here are a few tips for the young people doing it all.  (Might I add that these tips  could be for anyone with a busy life!) : 

photo found via eonline.com
Amal Clooney at Columbia University in NYC

1. Always keep a schedule 
The benefits of planners is that you will have everything in one place. Having all the things you have to do floating around in your head can make things stressful an overwhelming. Scheduling your life makes things feel more achievable. I personally try to avoid to-do lists.  Visually seeing a long list of all the tasks you need to do can make things a little scary.

2. Make time for the unexpected
I always show up to work about 30 minutes early. I know that sounds crazy, but I commute via public transportation and anything could happen. I also like to make time to stop by Starbucks for breakfast and actually have time to eat my breakfast before I start work.  So when it’s time for me to clock in I feel good because I am both on time and I’m not on an empty stomach. Plus that extra time by myself  in the morning gives me a sense of “the calm before the storm.”

3.Write Everything Down
With such a tight schedule it is so easy to forget the little things. Write it all down. Think of it like this, once you write it down it save room in your mind for more important things. 

4.Take things one day at a time
If you worry about all things you need do within the next week, or the next month you won’t be able to fully focus on today. Don’t let the things that haven’t happened yet cloud your mind with worry.  I check my schedule every night to see what I have to do that next day. I only know what I’m going to do that next day. 

5. Motivate yourself
Remind yourself the reason why you are  working your butt off! I have to remind myself of this every single day. I know the kind of life that I want in the future, and what I am doing right now will help me get there.  

6. You will feel pressure and that’s okay
At the end of the day you’re only human. I’m not writing this to tell you that you aren’t going going to feel stressed out or overwhelmed at some point. These tips are to only help you, and your approach to the way you handle your business. It’s only natural to feel it when everything going on seems like it’s constantly going and you have to keep up with it all. 

7. Relax!
It is so important to have a good night’s rest. You literally can’t function properly without it. Take care of yourself! All my co-workers know, that when I’m really exhausted nothing I say makes any sense. I’m literally a walking zombie. Sleep gets you refreshed and ready to conquer the day.

8. Make time for the people that matter
Make time for your friends and family. Even if it’s not for the whole day, any time spent with the ones you love are magical.  I don’t want to be that person who works their butt off and has no meaningful memories  or people around me to share my success. If you don’t have time to physically see your family and friends a phone call during you commute goes a long way. I try to make value of any possible downtime I have.

9. Enjoy the journey!
Yes, at the end of the day our ultimate goal is success. To get at that point you want to be in life isn’t going to be all gravy. You’re going to have good times and you’re going to have bad times.  Success isn’t a straight and narrow path. You’re going to fall get back up, fall get back up , and do it all over again. It is so important to enjoy the moments right now. These moments are building you to become the person you are going to be when you are ready for the caliber of success that you crave. I may not be doing my dream job right now and that’s okay, because I know that my time isn’t being wasted. I an learning things right now that will stay with me forever, and these experiences will have built me to be the woman I want to be when it’s time for me to step up to make my dreams come true. Miley said it best, “Ain't about how fast I get there. Ain't about what's waiting on the other side, It's the climb!” 

…Also, always remember that Beyonce has the same hours in a day as you do! Make it count! 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Contact Form