bible encouragement

3 Ways to Stay Positive

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 Jennifer Oquendo

A few weeks ago I went with my family to Six Flags Great America. I enjoy going there because of the water park and some of the rides. There are, however, some rides that really freak me out. Don't get me wrong, I'm not too afraid of heights but this particular time there was a new roller coaster that I didn't experience yet. I was freaking out and even though we waited a long time to get on the ride, I contemplated losing my place in line. I was terrified to get on the rollercoaster but at the same time I wanted to experience the thrill that everyone had experienced already. The closer I got to the ride, my mind played games on me and I imagined getting stuck up so high. Eventually I had to give myself a pep talk and let go of the negativity that my mind lingered on. In order to enjoy life, our perspective on it has to change.

Photo Courtesy of Huffington Post


Often times when we're bombarded with the issues that life brings, we seem to become a big ball of negativity. When things become ugly we cope with negativity because it's all we see and it becomes exhausting because being negative is very draining. Recently I had to experience some difficulties and what kept me from screaming my head off were these three important ways to become less negative during stressful situations and a bit more positive. Let's be honest here, stressful times will come because that's life and it has its ups and downs. We just have to learn how to ride the exciting yet scary rollercoaster of life.

1. Remember struggles don't last forever. I know this is super cliché and you've probably heard this a billion times, but it really is true. The struggles we go through don't last forever. There are issues that last a little longer and are more painful than others, but they eventually end. It's such a relief to know that what we go through are merely momentary issues and we will get through them and we will be stronger for it! Continuing to think about what you're going through is only going to make you sad, anxious, worried and afraid. A big ball of negative. Stop thinking about what you're going through and look past the issues.

2. What you're going through is not new. There is someone out there who has gone through what you're going through. Knowing this encourages me a lot because I know that I'm not alone. Someone has experienced and understands what I may be feeling and experiencing. It definitely brings my mind at ease. With so many people living in this world, the situations that we experience may seem so big at the moment but looking back will seem very small. There have been people that have experienced issues that we are going through today. Don't worry, you're not alone! Seek advice from someone you really trust and keep your head up because there is always a solution to any issue.

3. Prayer and encouragement in the Word. Last but certainly not least, it is so important to keep yourself in prayer. Sometimes we move so fast because there is so much to get done and it seems like there's not enough time. It's good to stop and pray and get into the Bible. If you ever feel like you're in a pinch, just remind yourself that prayer is key to everything. You don't have to face life afraid!
Here are a few verses that keep me grounded when my mind is raising and I feel negative:

Philippians 4:6
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."

Philippians 4:13
"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope."

In all things and in every situation there is always a different way to look at it. A positive perspective and outlook will not only benefit you, but is also healthy! Life is so stressful as it is, we don't need to add on to the stress and make life almost impossible. Keep in mind that the struggles will not last forever, someone has faced the same issues and prayer with encouraging verses will help start to motive you in changing your perspective to a more positive and healthier outlook on life. Keep a positive attitude and tell yourself that you can and will ride the scary yet exciting rollercoaster called life.




You Might Also Like

1 comments

Instagram

Contact Form