Entourage Feature

Some Movies to See This Weekend, June 5, 2015

Friday, June 05, 2015 Rob Samuelson

This is a fairly crowded week at the movies. There are a bunch of different genres represented, so it's likely you'll find something up your alley. Let's take a look.



Insidious: Chapter 3
Director: Leigh Whannell
Writer: Leigh Whannell
Starring: Dermot Mulroney, Stefanie Scott, Angus Sampson, Leigh Whannell



This Leigh Whannell fella is pulling triple duty here, writing, directing, and starring in the third installment of this series. Whannell is one of the co-creators of the Saw series, but this is his first time in the director's chair.

In this prequel, the audience will learn what happened before the hauntings of the first two films. I wish I could give you more, but, well, I haven't seen them. Horror is often a bit of a blind spot for me, and one I need to begin filling in. I have a friend who is more qualified than I am to speak on this, as he is way more of an expert on horror – and movies in general, for that matter – than I am.

“Most people like the first one and are mixed on the second. I love the second.” Not super eloquent, Josh, but it'll do. He's super into horror flicks, so I trust his judgment. You should too.

Love & Mercy
Director: Bill Pohlad
Writers: Oren Moverman, Michael A. Lerner
Starring: Paul Dano, John Cusack, Elizabeth Banks, Paul Giamatti



Beach Boy Brian Wilson comes in for the biopic treatment here, from producer-turned-director Bill Pohlad (12 Years a Slave, Wild, Into the Wild, The Tree of Life, Brokeback Mountain, other brutal movies involving the outdoors). Wilson's is a melancholy story full of triumphs (anyone who says they don't like Pet Sounds is lying) and decades of being in the mental wilderness, full of overmedicating hangers on like Paul Giamatti's character.

There appears to be quite a love story between Banks and Cusack as Wilson in the 1980s, and we get Paul Dano as the younger Wilson at the height of fame with the Beach Boys in the mid-1960s. The dual roles are risky but could pay off mightily depending on how Pohlad handles the transition of time and the editing therein. I'm quite excited for this one despite my usual reticence to get onboard with biopics.

Spy
Director: Paul Feig
Writer: Paul Feig
Starring: Melissa McCarthy, Jude Law, Rose Byrne, Jason Statham



Paul Feig makes funny stuff. He did Bridesmaids, The Heat, and Freaks and Geeks. He is a guy who gets what it means to sell a joke, and he has found a terrific working partner in Melissa McCarthy, whose go-for-broke style complements the headier stuff Feig tends to do. I'm into it.

Entourage
Director: Doug Ellin
Writers: Doug Ellin, Rob Weiss
Starring: Adrian Grenier, Kevin Connolly, Kevin Dillon, Jerry Ferrara, Jeremy Piven



The guys from the HBO series are back, up to hijinks on the high seas, it looks like. The fat guy got skinny and the other guys make fun of him anyway. Celebrity cameos happen and there are a lot of, “Trust me”s.

I've never seen an episode of Entourage, so if you're looking for an opinion, I can't really give you one. Doesn't seem to be for me, but it could be! I'll probably wait to see the movie until I've seen the show, so come approximately 2018, Halfstackers, you can expect my years late review of a years late movie.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Contact Form