attitude dark

Smiling Through a Dark Storm

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 Jennifer Oquendo

Have you ever experienced times when everything seems to be going the wrong way? It's one thing after the other. You woke up late, you spilled your coffee on your new shirt, your boss calls you into the office because you didn't meet a deadline and your kids are going on a rampage. Yeah, it's been a bad day. Though it sounds like a typical family comedy movie, when really experiencing it in real life, it's not so funny. The attitude we take when the storms of life come will either helps us get through it quicker or will be the longest most stressful journey we face. Let's be honest, most of the time our lives will not be covered with sunshine and roses, but how we face those dark times can encourage us to move forward.

Photo courtesy of Gallery hip


A few years ago, I was going through some real dark times and struggling with my self esteem. I remember listening to the radio and someone saying, "In order to have a great testimony, you must pass the test." That quote really struck me that day. It was almost like an aha moment. I remember writing it everywhere. I wrote it in my agenda, in my notebook, in my bible and on a post it that I stuck on my dry erase board. For me, that quote was a sign of hope that everything will be alright and that at the end of every test there's always a great testimony.  I wanted to remind myself of that hope everywhere I looked. I knew things wouldn't just drastically change for the better, but I also knew that it starts with my mind set. I began to surround myself with people that were positive and complimented me not teared me down. When I felt myself getting negative, I would remind myself that my attitude was everything and that no one was immune to trials and sufferings.

The storms will come and sometimes they will be quick passing storms where suffering will be fast paced but there will also be those storms when the hail is too big not to hurt and will leave damages to our cars and homes. There will be storms that create great floods in our lives and storms that look really scary and never seems to end. These are the times when our attitude and perspectives are most important because once we get through the storms we will be stronger and wiser. If you're going through a storm, remember that positivity will get you through quickly with less stress and that smiling through a dark storm shows that you're strong enough to face it!

James 1:12
"Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love Him."

John 16:33
"I have said these thing to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Contact Form