empowerment Hope & Faith

June Letter from the Editor

Monday, June 02, 2014 HALFSTACK MAGAZINE

Welcome to June Halfstackers! As I write this, we are finalizing the next issue of Halfstack! We are so excited to share some amazing content, designers, businesses and organizations in this next issue. It's a beautiful round up of stories related to our editorial direction of "EMPOWERMENT". This theme is near and dear to my heart and this issue is breathtaking. I will be sure to share more closer to the release within my official editor's note, but for now, just know it is a must read issue that will hopefully inspire you and give you inner strength.


Staying in line with the issue's theme, the editorial theme for the blog this month will also be empowerment. When I think about the word empowerment, I am reminded of the struggles of my youth. The battles I went through growing up in the inner city to a single mom, the gangs and abuse I witnessed and the strength I gained by taking control of the direction of my life. I was able to give myself power through knowledge, through hardships and by the experiences I had and the lessons I learned. When I think of empowerment, I think of women like Malala Yousafzai, an Internationally acclaimed teenage activist of girls education, who was shot in the face and survived and continues on her mission. When you look up the definition of empowerment - it is usually defined as "to GIVE power". Rather, I would like for you readers to look at it as TAKING BACK your power. You own it. It is yours to take, no one can take it from you unless you let them.

This month, we will be focusing on empowerment; what it means to our writers as well as showcasing empowered individuals in the city of Chicago and nationwide. We will of course have some wonderful fashion pieces and great music highlights, but we plan to showcase some wonderful stories that will build you up. You can read them here and of course, listen to a select few on our iTunes podcast HERE. If any of you readers are also interested in submitting a piece that relates to our theme this month - please do so to: jennifer@halfstackmag.com. We would love to continue to give our readers the opportunity to share their thoughts or even write for us! I hope this month's theme inspires you and gives you hope. I hope that if you are reading this and you feel powerless and weak, that you know you are not alone. And in the words of the amazing Pooh, I hope you know that "you are braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Don't lose sight of that readers.

I wish you all the best,
Jenny
Editor-in-chief
Halfstack Magazine

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Contact Form