4th of july dj

The Power of Music

Thursday, July 04, 2013 Kenny Muzzey


 Full immersion within music.  Whenever possible.  That is how I live my life.  Maybe that is a little extreme, but music soothes me, lifts my spirits when I'm feeling down, and helps me work to my full potential. The effects of music can be seen firsthand.  It has the ability to rile up a crowd, calm a frazzled mind, and simmer down a sizzling situation. Having an understanding of what to play and how it will affect the ambiance of the group can make or break your party; be it a backyard BBQ, pool party, or whatever kind of event you decide to host.


                


Too further explain, I seized the opportunity to DJ at a small housewarming party I attended. Early in the night as people were still arriving and getting settled in, I went with a more energetic vibe.  Mainly top 40 songs, Macklemore’s “Thrift Shop,” Fun’s “Some Nights,” and more of the like. Basically, anything with a good beat, bassline, or energetic feel to it. This kind of playlist easily got the group fired up.

 As the night progressed and everyone was feeling good, I transitioned into a mash of stuff from the 90’s. The average age of the crowd was early to mid-twenties; so songs that would have been popular while they were in their middle and high school years. Songs like Blink-182’s “What’s My Age Again,” Nelly’s “Ride wit Me,” and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones’s “The Impression That I Get.” Again, this was great for keeping the room lively, people jumping, dancing, and bobbing about. At this point there was quite a variance in the genres of music I was putting on, hip-hop, r&b, pop rock, ska, and whatever requests came in. 


 Now, if I happened to notice people were getting too rowdy, I would shoot out something a bit mellower to settle them down. This will vary depending on the demographics of participants. I used The Verve’s “Bittersweet Symphony,” tossed in some Jack Johnson, “Flake”, and a few others that had a slower, calmer rhythm. As people grew sleepy and the party seemed to be winding down, I again started playing a slew of songs with a more relaxed, laid-back feel to give people a pleasant parting. 


Following the party I thought more and more about how I was able to control the energy of the audience with the beat of the music. The more I thought about it, the more intrigued I had become by this seemingly small example of the power of music. So I leave you with these final thoughts….


Never underestimate the power of music. It can give you the chills, lull you into sadness, or reassure you that everything will be alright. Have you ever felt like music plays on your emotions? There is always that one song that gets you. It explains you. It speaks to you. Maybe it's your favorite song, or just something you have heard in passing.... You know the one. The one that takes you back, the song that reminds you of someone, sometime, perhaps something, and it brings back feelings of remorse and despair, happiness and hope, fun and games.



\

 Kristin Martz once said “We lose ourselves in the things we love. We find ourselves there too."  Isn’t that the truth!?  And I am certain that there are songs that define you as a person, and outline your life.  Similar to how past events in your life have shaped you into whom you are today. Perhaps it's a song that reminds you of a bad relationship, a lost love, a good friend, a struggle, or a victory.... By simply pushing a button, you unlock the ability to put your memories on pause, replay your happiness, and stop your pain.... Shhhh! Do you hear that? It sounds like nostalgia....

~Kenny Muzzey~

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Contact Form